The Deason Home
During its one hundred seventy - three year history, the Deason Home has only had four owners.
(1) Amos Deason and wife Eleanor Baskin [1845 - 1888 and then to the Deason Estate]
(2) Isaac Anderson, Jr. and wife Sarah Rebecca "Sallie" Pool [About 1890 - 1939 and then to the
Anderson Estate. The house remained a part of the Anderson Estate and was lived in by
various family members until 1965]
(3) Welton Smith and wife Frances Anderson, granddaughter of Isaac Anderson, Jr. and Sarah
Pool [1965 - 1991]
(4) Tallahala Chapter NSDAR Ellisville, MS [1991 - Present]
The Smith's had a concern for possible school acquisition of the property through eminent domain and subsequent demolition. They decided the best way to save the house for present and future generations was by placing it on the National Register of Historic Places. This process was completed in 1984. Subsequently, the Deason Home was established as a Mississippi Landmark in the year 2000 by the Tallahala Chapter NSDAR.
During the War Between the States, Newton Knight, "governor" of the Free State of Jones, stormed the home and shot Major Amos McLemore CSA. His blood seeped into the wood floor, and try as they might, the family was never able to remove the stain. Every time it rained and the wind howled, just as it had on that fateful night, the blood stain returned. Eventually, a second flooring was laid on top of the first, covering the stain. Newton Knight was never charged with the crime.